We live in an ageing society. There is an increasing amount of legislation that has created a complex array of rights and entitlements for older people. Combined with many illnesses that are often common with old age, this presents a challenge of how to communicate well with older people who may find communication difficult.
This course, presented by Neil Mapes, is designed to give delegates an opportunity to find solutions to the challenge of interviewing older people well, advising them clearly and communicating clearly and with understanding and empathy.
• Normal, active and abnormal ageing;
• Common illnesses;
• Myths and assumptions related to older people;
• Person-centred approach; and
• Communication skills and tools.
By the end of this course delegates should be able to be:
• Recognise and tackle communication problems associated with older people;
• Know where to find additional support and assistance for older people;
• Understand the need for skilled communication and communication tools with older people;
• Be able to find solutions to the problems they face when communicating with older people; and
• Be confident in acting for and advising older people.