Basic Litigation Skills Course
We are authorised by IPReg to deliver the Basic Litigation Skills Course for patent and trade mark attorneys. Successful completion of the assessment leads to the award of the Intellectual Property Litigation Certificate.
OUR 2017 PUBLIC COURSES ARE NOW FULLY BOOKED - PLEASE ENQUIRE TO JOIN 'RESERVE' LISTS OR FOR OPPORTUNITIES TO JOIN IN-HOUSE COURSES
2018 DATES ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Scroll down for course dates and booking form
Professional conduct and litigation • The Civil Procedure Rules • Pre-action behaviour • Alternative Dispute Resolution • Interviewing and advising clients • Case analysis • Evidence and proof • Issuing proceedings • Statements of case • The Intellectual Property Enterprise Court • Case management • Costs and budgets • CPR Part 63 • Disclosure and privilege • Witness statements • Negotiation • Mediation • Interim advocacy
All patent attorneys qualifying on or after 1 January 2013 must complete this course within 3 years of qualification. Successful candidates may apply to IPReg for the award of the Intellectual Property Litigation Certificate.
Our standard course runs across four consecutive teaching days with the written assessment on the fifth day. Current scheduled dates for public courses are shown below. However, we are happy to be flexible and if you would like the course to be run in-house over a different timescale we will ensure a course structure which meets your exact requirements.
We are the only provider of the Basic Litigation Skills Course currently offering to deliver the course on an in-house basis. We need a minimum number of 6 delegates. We are also happy to work with you to build a consortium of delegates from a range of firms to make an in-house course viable, allowing the course to be run on the dates and in the location of your choosing.
We work closely with firms to ensure the course structure meets their individual needs and requirements. We can arrange the teaching over several weeks, or intensively over consecutive days. Our high standard of service and training receives consistently excellent feedback from both training managers and delegates.
If you would like more information about our in-house courses please contact Chris Taylor at email@example.com.
Public course dates 2017
September 2017: public course, LONDON - FULLY BOOKED
Training Days: Monday 11th September to Thursday 14th September 2017 inclusive
Assessment: Friday 15th September 2017
November 2017: public course, LONDON - FULLY BOOKED
Training Days: Monday 6th November to Thursday 9th November 2017 inclusive
Assessment: Friday 10th November 2017
Public course dates 2018
March 2018: public course, LONDON
Training Days: Monday 12th March to Thursday 15th March 2018 inclusive
Assessment: Friday 16th March 2018
May 2018: public course, LONDON
Training Days: Monday 14th May to Thursday 17th May 2018 inclusive
Assessment: Friday 18th May 2018
September 2018: public course, LONDON
Training Days: Monday 10th September to Thursday 13th September 2018 inclusive
Assessment: Friday 14th September 2018
November 2018: public course, LONDON
Training Days: Monday 5th November to Thursday 8th November 2018 inclusive
Assessment: Friday 9th November 2018
The cost for the entire course, including any pre-reading and course materials provided is £1,500.00 + VAT per delegate (£1,800 including VAT).
If you wish to reserve a place on one of our courses please complete the booking form below. We will then confirm your booking and email you an invoice. If you have any queries please contact Chris Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our clients include
AA Thornton • Abel & Imray • Appleyard Lees • Boult Wade Tennant • Bristows • Carpmaels & Ransford • Cleveland Scott York • Dehns • D Young & Co • Forresters • Gill Jennings & Every • Haseltine Lake • HGF Limited • Hoffmann Eitle • JA Kemp • Keltie • Kilburn & Strode • Maiwald • Marks & Clerk • Mathys & Squire • Maucher Jenkins • Murgitroyd & Company • Potter Clarkson • Reddie & Grose • Slingsby Partners • Williams Powell • Withers & Rogers • WP Thompson
This is what some of our clients have said about the training and assessment
Public course candidate
I’d just like to say how enjoyable I found the course. I found all of the materials thoroughly engaging (I guess largely due to the way in which the course was delivered). I’ll certainly be recommending CPD Training as being the go-to choice for this course.
Mathys & Squire candidate
We had an excellent trainer, he was very enthusiastic and knowledgeable. I enjoyed the role play approach to the teaching.
Potter Clarkson candidate
The exercises were interesting and well-organised. All time felt well spent. The trainer was very engaging, approachable and knowledgeable, and was willing to go ‘off script’ for an interesting point, but brought it back to the core course so no time was lost. Excellent.
AA Thornton candidate
The course was very enjoyable and informative. I feel like I have learnt a lot and had fun doing so. Our trainer had a very easy relaxed style. There was a good mix of talking and exercises. The course was clearly presented with very good written materials.
Public course candidate
I was really impressed with the course and thought the trainer did a great job presenting and explaining the material. It was much appreciated.
D Young candidate
The teaching has been fantastic. I have learnt a huge amount in a very short space of time and have been given clear guidance on new topics and issues, such that I understand what is required in the context of litigation. The course was extremely clear, practical and engaging. We have been taken through each topic in a very methodical way and been given an opportunity to apply this knowledge in a safe environment. Questions were always answered clearly and concisely and materials were easy to understand.
Data Protection Policy
CPD Training (UK) Ltd must hold certain personal information about candidates to satisfy conditions,
such as verifying identity, which are required by the SRA and IPReg.
When you enrol on a course, you agree that we may hold your personal data for these purposes.
It will not be used for any other purpose and will be deleted when no longer needed.
Booking Terms and Conditions
- CPD Training (UK) Ltd reserves the right to change or cancel its training sessions. In the event of cancellation by CPD Training (UK) Ltd of a training session or assessment, an alternative date will be offered. Should an alternative date not be available in the event of cancellation by CPD Training (UK) Ltd, any course fees paid will be refunded.
- CPD Training (UK) Ltd reserves the right to change the course fees.
- All courses are subject to availability and demand.
- Unless otherwise agreed, the full course fee must be paid prior to commencement of the course and before the delegate’s place can be confirmed.
- CPD Training (UK) Ltd is willing to consider requests for payment by instalments by privately funded delegates, subject to a minimum deposit of 50% of the course fee being paid at the time of booking. No certificates will be released to successful candidates until payment in full has been received. Please contact us for further details regarding instalment plans.
- Delegates' travel and accommodation costs are not included in the course fee. Delegates are responsible for arranging their own travel and accommodation.
- Once full payment (or such deposit as may be agreed) has been received, written confirmation of your booking will be sent to you. Any Joining Instructions and, if applicable, pre-reading course materials will be sent to the delegate in due course.
- Lunch is not provided by CPD Training (UK) Ltd. Tea, coffee and water will be supplied upon arrival at the venue.
- Subject to paragraph 1, fees are non-refundable.
- Any course transfer requests must be made in writing to CPD Training (UK) Ltd. Any agreed transfers may be subject to an administration fee.
- CPD Training (UK) Ltd cannot be held responsible for failing to cater for any reasonable adjustments unless the delegate notifies us in writing upon booking and provides relevant evidence to support the request.
- If a delegate fails the assessment they shall be entitled to take the assessment again. There is no bar on the number of re-sits a delegate can take. An additional fee will be payable for each re-sit.